Strengthening the 12-Step Community
Ask yourself the following questions to inventory what you, as a recovering person, are doing to strengthen the 12-Step Fellowship in your community:
GIVING AND RECEIVING LOVE:
· DO I OPERATE FROM A SPIRIT OF GENTLENESS?
· DO I LOOK FOR “THE GOLD” IN OTHERS?
· DO I ENCOURAGE AND NOT JUDGE?
· DO I CELEBRATE THE RETURN OF A RELAPSED MEMBER?
HELPING NEWCOMERS TO FEEL WELCOME:
· AM I MODELING RECOVERY OR DISEASE?
· DO MY ACTIONS DEMONSTRATE THAT I CARE?
· DOES MY SHARING OFFER HOPE OF RECOVERY?
· DO I USE LANGUAGE OF RECOVERY?
· DO I INTRODUCE MYSELF TO NEWCOMERS AND INTRODUCE THEM TO OTHER 12-STEP MEMBERS?
· DO I INVITE NEWCOMERS TO COFFEE AND/OR SOCIAL FUNCTIONS?
· DO I SHARE MY FEELINGS HONESTLY?
· DO I SHARE THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY?
· DO I SHARE HOW THE 12 STEPS HAVE CHANGED ME?
· DO I SHARE MY CHARACTER ASSETS AS WELL AS MY DEFECTS?
Take a moment to inventory your own attitudes and behaviors. The strength of 12-Step fellowships only increases as individual members grow. The NA Basic Text says that "the ultimate weapon against addiction is the recovering addict.